Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:48:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Marc Veldman <freebsd@planet.nl>
Cc:        "Ludington, Jacob" <Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us>, "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: BSD Magazine

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Marc Veldman wrote:

> could somebody point out the advantages of a
> BSD-specific magazine ?

I want something on paper.  While e-mail and the web are cool, they are
far from persistent.  I can't read a file written ten years ago in the
standard word processing tool of the day.  Any articles I read and enjoyed
on any commercial or main-stream electronic services are now long gone.  I
have now assurance that www.daemonnews.org is going to work in ten years
time when I want to reference a technical article there in a paper I
write.  And printers don't cut it -- I have enough leaf-litter of unsorted
and un-indexed papers lying around already.

I'd happily pay the going rate for magazines to get a nicely bound
twice to three times as thick Daemon News.  At one point, Jordan was
spitting out FreeBSD newsletters on paper -- throw that stuff in also,
maybe reviews of recent major commits on various platform source trees
(sort of like the new stuff page on the NetBSD web site) so people (users,
developers) from various projects can keep up-to-date.

  Robert N M Watson