Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:56:59 +0200
From:      Gregory Nou <gregorynou@altern.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ping vs ping6 on localhost

Hi,

I was making some small tests on ipv6 (before bigger ones, of course
:)), and got some astonishing results:

when doing a ping6 -c 20 ::1 =>

--- ::1 ping6 statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.100/0.265/1.655/0.367 ms

I think the max and std-dev are not that relevant, because usually, the
results were approx. 0.130 ms.

when doing a ping -c 20 127.0.0.1 =>

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.050/0.070/0.089/0.008 ms

I made the test at the same time (well, not really at the same time, but
with only a few seconds of delay), and at different moment, with a load
of 0.45 (which is not that much)

I did not go further, because I'm quite new in the pratical use of ipv6,
but this looks astonishing to me.
Is this due to the IPv6 implementation, to ping6, or to my computer ?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I had not brave enough to
look in all the archives of the mailing list.

--
Gregory