Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@hanse.de>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with MGET(m, M_WAIT, *) [was: Semantics of ...]

<<On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:36:28 +0200 (CEST), Stefan Bethke <stb@hanse.de> said:

> As Garrett said, the current mbuf allocator is going to go away. Is
> it?

Yes -- but it will take some time.  The eventual goal is for
interfaces to manage their own memory allocation -- some interfaces
may have unusual requirements for memory which is being used as a
buffer.  (Something like the current mbuf allocator will probably
remain to service those interfaces which don't have any special
requirements.  Even for those interfaces, however, it would be more
memory-efficient to only allocate 1536 bytes per buffer (assuming
Ethernet) than a full 2K cluster -- the current scheme wastes 25% on
Ethernet-sized packets.)

> Will the semantics of the new mbuf allocator be the same (M_WAIT may
> return 0)? I guess so, but the one(s) working on the new allocator might
> want to confirm that.

This seems likely, although we ought to be able to do a bit better
than the fixed-size map we have now.

-GAWollman