Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 12:52:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4_questions

In a previous message, Michael Smith said:

> Vladimir Gordyunin stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I've install FreeBSD at first times. When I've compiled some applications I've
> > met whith following problems.
> >
> > 1:> cc: Compilation of header file requested --xsnow application
> > 2:>     In file included from AxeEditor.c:58:
> > 3:>     "Makefile", line xxx: Need an operator

These all look like inproper configuration due to not
using the ports collection. But as Michael said, they're
already compiled for you. Why make work?

> > When I send mail :" mail user < file_name " are appearanced following responses
> > >       stty: TIOCGETD: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > >       stty: TIOCGETD: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Do you have 'mail' aliased to anything?

This is because you have a stty command in your .profile, .cshrc, .login,
.kshrc, .bash* or whatever shell you're using. Do a:

if [ "$PS1" ]
then
	stty...
fi

in sh,ksh,bash or a

if ( $?prompt ) then
	stty ...
endif

in csh

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

Would dogs play fetch if they knew how to throw the stick themselves?