Date:      19 Jan 1997 09:16:18 -0000
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [2.1R] PPP login problem using user ppp (iijppp) and pppd

Hi,

I have a problem using both iijppp and pppd to login to my new ISP using
FreeBSD 2.1R.

However, when using Windows95 to connect to the same ISP *without*
scripting, there is no problem at all. For this reason, I have to
temporarily resort to using Windows95 running wingate to enable the
other UNIX boxes to have partial Internet accessibility.

I realize this is *not* a problem with FreeBSD itself and my ISP
cannot help either, so what I am trying to do is to gather info from
people with great knowledge of Windows95 dial-up PPP *without*
login script and be able to give me some assistance, so that I can
figure out what is the difference betwee Windows dial-up PPP and
iijppp/pppd on FreeBSD. If I am able to figure the difference, I may
be able to set up the right configuration files to use.

Right now, the setting for Windows95 is that I obtain dynamic IP
address from ISP and have no idea about authentication (yes, it is
needed as login id and password are needed during login) scheme as
well as the login protocol. On the Win95 end, the Connection and
Server Type is set to PPP: Windows95, Windows NT 3.5, Internet.
When I use plain dial-up from FreeBSD to connect to my ISP, I do not see the

Login:
Password:

pairs, so I believe the login scheme is *not* set up that way but
relies on either PAP or CHAP, and I tried both schemes using iijppp
but both do not work and the ppp session never goes beyond LCP part.
Querying this to the hopeless ISP "customer service" does not give
me any useful response either since they don't even know what PAP
and CHAP are, let alone which scheme they are using, 8-(((. However,
I am not considering changing ISP for now.

Please help if some of you W95 + FreeBSD guru can think of anything
that may be of relevance to my case.

Thanks in advance.