Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 10:54:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Named and Reverse DNS lookups

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> Thanks to everyone who helped me set this up a couple months back.
> Hopefully this last question is easy.
>
> SRI-MT's assigned address is 206.127.76.96/27, which consists of hosts
> 97-126 (96 and 127 are reserverd).
>
> Here's the entry in /etc/namedb/named.boot.
> primary   mt.sri.com                   newmt
>
> Pretty basic.
>
> However, how do I setup my Reverse DNS stuff?  I tried this, but it
> didn't work.
>
> primary   96.76.127.206.in-addr.arpa   newmt.rev
>
> And, I can't use :
> primary   76.127.206.in-addr.arpa   newmt.rev
>
> Since there are lots of machines outside of our little 30 host slice
> that we need to resolve as well.

Unless there's some magic I haven't been introduced to, or a newer
BIND that understands /<blah> notation, you're limited to whole class-C
addresses when it comes to specifying reverse lookups.

As I understand it, you'll have to coordinate with the other slices to
maintain a reverse-mapping on whichever server is nominated as the
primary for the mapping.