Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:25:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TFTPD/DHCP diskless problems, please help!

Hello.

At our department we use a DHCP boot server for diskless terminals.
These terminals have all the same hardware, so we could boot them
via the same kernel.

Now we need to setup several other hardware systems via DHCP, but I ran
into problems when trying to configure tftpd from inetd.conf.

This is the situation:

dhcp server ist the most recent in ports (isc-dhcpd 3.0.1rc9).
There is an extra main partition loacated at /usr/diskless for
all the diskless boot operations. This partition is allowed to
be exported by NFSv3 (as I mentioned above: the config works
and boots our terminals, but changing the tftpd root dir to a
more specific hierarchy fails).

The entry in /etc/inetd.conf for tftpd is: tftpd -l -s /usr/diskless/amd.
This entry works with the follwing CLASS match operator in isc-dhcpd:

class "PXEClient" {
  match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
  filename "/boot/pxeboot";
  option root-path "/usr/diskless/amd/";
}

Assuming that we now need an 'intel' specific boot path based on this configuration
I need to change the tftp-root path to something more suitable. I tried this:

	tftpd -l -s /usr/diskless/ amd intel

Idea: tftpd chroots to /usr/diskless and allows starting from this new 'root-path'
all operations. This is also mentioned that way in the manpage. But it does not
work!
The only working way is

	tftpd -l -s /usr/diskless/amd

and I do not understand why! Can anyone help?
How to configure tftp to allow a more specific boot-path?

Be aware that for security reasons the -s option __is_a_must_be__.

I think there is nothing to change within the isc-dhcpd config file, because
root-path is set correctly.

I appreciate any hint, tip or help, thanks a lot in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)