Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:46:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Oliver Blasnik <ob@omnilink.net>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again: CRD-Raid-Controller and FreeBSD 3.x

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> <shameless plug>
> You might want to consider using a PCI:SCSI RAID controller like a Mylex
> DAC960 or AMI MegaRAID.  The host:cache bandwidth is _much_ better on
> these units, and they typically offer all of the features of the external
> units at a lower price.
> </shameless plug>

  Well, except for a couple of drawbacks:

- You can't boot from AMI or Mylex controllers under FreeBSD 3.x yet.  The
DPT PCI RAID card is only one that supports booting, but an external RAID
box is easily twice as fast as an DPT card.

- No online configuration yet.  Each controller brand needs it own
management app ported to FreeBSD.  An external card usually has a nice LCD
display.  I can even hookup new drives and configure a new logical disk,
or expand an existing logical disk with a couple of button presses (at
least on Infortrend).

  As far standalone controllers, I'd go with an Infortrend over CRD.

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Tom