Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae_bsd@niceboots.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA RAID: Adaptec 1420SA, Promise TX4300?

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Tenebrae wrote:

> I was looking at the Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1420SA and Promise
> FastTrak TX4300 4-port SATA RAID PCI adapters.  I did find a note on the
> Promise card that it is now supported in Current.  Is this something that
> might make its way into the 6.x-STABLE branch at some point?  Also, I have
> heard that there is "bad blood" of some sort between Adaptec and FreeBSD.
> I am not interested in a flame war ensuing, but if there is limited to no
> support, I'd like to know so that I can avoid their cards.  Hopefully
> those two cards give an idea of the price range and requirements of the
> cards I'm looking at: 4 ports for future expansion, around $150 US (or
> less), low profile PCI for a rack-mount case.  Are either of these two
> cards supported in FreeBSD 6.x-STABLE?

Quoted for a bit of reference...
It looks like my original question has been answered (neither
recommended, apparently) and 3ware would actually be the way to go for
supported hardware.
Thanks everybody for your input!  If I have any more questions, I'll
probably take them to the Questions list so's not to clutter the Stable
list.  I've got a lot more research and thinking to do now.
Much appreciated.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.