Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:54:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        ertank@softhome.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk copying

> Hello,
>
> I want to backup my disk with all of its contents. Exactly, I want to copy
> it completely to another disk.
>
> I have only one freebsd partition and several slices on my disk. I want to
> copy all the data to another bigger disk preserving my user and group
> settings.
>
> Is it possible to use "cp"? In this way I supposed to create my partitions
> before and mount them under some partition and just "cp -Rp / /newdisk" but
>
> Won't it start to copy the data recursively when copying reachs /newdisk?

You are better off using dump(8)/restore(8) to make the
copies.   Alternatively, you could use tar.

None of dump/restore, tar or cp will make a bootable disk.  You have
to do that outside of the process (before tranferring files).  If you
use dd or some other image copy utilities, you can make it bootable,
but it ain't the easiest way.

////jerry