Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:43:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        brent@kearneys.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfn@enteract.com
Subject:   RE: AMD Athlon and booting

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> Hey, guys. I went a slightly different route than playing with the numlock key
> to get FreeBSD running. The problem seems to really be the -P (probe the
> keyboard) boot option, and it setting -D and -h when it doesn't find it. My
> "workaround" was to make boot floppies, and edit boot.conf to remove the -P
> (or delete the file if there are no other options).
>
> Once done, it just happily boots up and installs. Looks like keyboard probing
> may need some work for Athlon processors, so i'm cc'ing this to the hackers
> list, so hopefully, some console guru can take a look at it.
>
> Also, if no one has done it so far, let me know, and I'll submit a pr.

The problem might actually be with the SD-11 board. I built two K7 500s on
SD-11 boards a while ago (3.4-STABLE) and am not at all happy with them.
In fact, I was able to bring only one of them into production and live
with it randomly crashing every now and then... the other one crashed too
frequently and is headed for the RMA department. What I've seen points to
a motherboard problem and not a FreeBSD problem so, if anyone has evidence
to the contrary, I'd like to hear it.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/