Date:      	Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:00:55 -0400
From:      David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
To:        jabley@clear.co.nz (Joe Abley)
Cc:        freebsd@xaa.iae.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

 > That was my concern. Surely there must come a time when two versions of
 > a shared library exist (with identical major version numbers), and an
 > application requires to be dynamically linked to the older of the two
 > because of some incompatibility with the newer library?

Standard ELF doesn't allow this, or support minor version numbers.

Even worse things happen when you have two builds of (say)
libslang.so.1 that were compiled against different libcs and are thus
not interchangeable...

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)