Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:24:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <simond@irrelevant.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modifying a port for local use

Simon Dick said:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:34:10PM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to modify a port ( squirrelmail-1.2.7 ) for use on my system.
>> The issue is where the port is installed.  The Makefile lets the ports
>> system install into /usr/local.  However, I want it installed into
>> /data/www.
>>

> The normal way to do it doesn't even require altering the makefile, just
> try this:
> cd /usr/ports/mail/squirrelmail
> make PREFIX=/data/www
> make PREFIX=/data/www install
>
> and that should be recorded into the pkg db once it's installed.
> (it works, I create ports using that method so ask more if you still
> have problems :)

Hi Simon,

I tried your suggestion and it did install my port in the location
specified by PREFIX.  However, it still creates the following directories
in PREFIX { bin etc include info lib libdata libexec man sbin share} and
pkg_delete is trying to delete files from /usr/local instead of PREFIX.

Is the port system not designed to install outside /usr/local no matter
how one slices it?

Many thanks for your help.

--
Regards,