Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:50:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ken Wills <kenwills@yahoo.com>
To:        Dan Larsson <support@junglenote.com>
Cc:        "[FreeBSD-Questions-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP-GL/2 Print server

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Dan Larsson wrote:

> I'm looking for documents on how to serve plotter printouts for
> windows based clients (using autocad). The plotter talks HP-GL/2
> through a HP JetDirect module. The current server is windows nt
> based but I would like to migrate from nt if at all possible.

You can quite easily do the same with FreeBSD and Samba (www.samba.org).
You'll need to do some backgroung reading on unix print spooling (man lpr,
man lpd) and closely follow the samba documentation. I'm using a
replacement lpd (lprNG) which is available through the ports collection.

Make sure your Jetdirect card/box is has recent firmware and supports lpr.

Ken