Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help in reccomending FreeBSD....

On 15 Oct 1999 wwoods@cybcon.com wrote:

> At 2:30PM (West Coast Time) I am going to a meeting at work
> with the Head of Computer Security, 2 NT Admins and two people in
> charge of the project I am working on. I am wanting to propose,
> that instead of useing a Microsoft Firewall solution, we use a
> FreeBSD box as a firewall solution.
>
> This is not for mission critical
> info, so I feel I have a good chance of getting this. I also have
> lined up the 2nd in charge of our *nix dept to help me set up and
> maintian (I can do it, but it always looks better to have a "higher
> up" to validate you) the firewalls.  What I would like from
> the list, is some REAL WORLD valid reason why FreeBSD should be
> used over a MS firewall solution.
>
> We are a MS shop, no doubt
> about that, so this will be an uphill battle, but I believe that
> with the right info, I can get FreeBSD as the firewall. Aside from
> the fact that FreeBSD will cost less to set up, will allow us to
> use that old P100 we have put on the shelf and will cost less to
> maintain.....can you people supply me with some more valid reasons
> to go with FreeBSD over MS?
>
> And, yes, I know ftp.cdrom.com and
> yahoo.com all use FreeBSD, as well as MS Hotmail service, but I am
> looking for some corporate types out there who had to convince
> their bosses that FreeBSD was a better choice to help me on this.

In the future if you'd wrap lines at 70 chars we'd all appreciate it.

but for some reasons for freebsd...

~ % uptime
10:58AM  up 218 days,  6:29, 1 user, load averages: 0.33, 0.28, 0.28
~ % uname -srm
FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386

(yes that's 3.0-current and it's SMP, ph33r that serves several
hundred kilobytes a second)

~ % uptime
10:53AM  up 118 days, 16:51, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
~ % uname -srm
FreeBSD 3.2-19990618-STABLE i386

FreeBSD is cool becuase it's a "setup and leave it be system"

FreeBSD defines 0 administration. :)

FreeBSD because we'll actually do something if you find a bug.

hope this helps.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]