Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:09:42 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Real Player as a plug-in

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 04:40:13AM -0300, Paje da Oca wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Paje da Oca wrote:
> > > Hi, I have installed RealPlayer 5.0 for Unix on my FreeBSD 3.4, but
> > > I don`t know how to make Netscape 4.72 recognize it as a plugin.
> > >
> > > It is working as an `application`, the same way it would work if
> > > I started it by hand, but it is not beeing recognized as a plugin.
> > >
> > > PS: The sound is quite bad, but I think that is the way RealPlayer
> > >     works in Unix. Or am I wrong?
> >
> > Why don't you use RealPlayer7 Beta for Linux?  That's what I'm using now
> > with my newly installed DSL connection, and the sound is about like good
> > FM radio quality.  Of course, over a dial up connection, it isn't that
> > good, but still better than version 5.0 I think.  Plus, the 5.0 version
> > doesn't work with many of the current formats.
>
>    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I got RealPlayer7 Beta
>    for Linux and installed it. The installation process even told
>    me that RealPlayer had been installed as a plug-in... but...

Are you using the Linux version of Netscape? AFAIK the RealPlayer
plugins don't work with the native FreeBSD Netscape. RP7 works for me
with Linux-netscape. Note also that rpnhelper needs to be in your
PATH. It lives in /usr/local/RealPlayer7 so either add that to $PATH
or, as I've done, symlink it from /usr/local/bin.

HTH

> > As for getting it to work as a plug in, I'm not sure what the difference
> > is between using it as a plug in and simply setting Netscape to use
> > RealPlayer as the default application for opening files with a particular
> > suffix, in this case ra, rm, and ram.  That's how I do it and it works
> > well.
>
>    ... I don`t know the difference, either, but when clicking on
>    some links, Netscape complains that the plug-in has not been
>    installed, and it opens a page to make the download.
>    (for example, you could check http://www.senado.gov.br/ and
>     click on ``Radio Senado``, in the center of the page)
>
>   ... and if I click on other files, Netscape opens RealPlayer7
>
>   Unfortunately, the sound is even worst than with RV5, I tried
>   different setup options with no luck (perhaps lack of sleep :-)
>
>   Thanks anyway,
>   Leonardo

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX