Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:28:46 -0500
From:      Bruce Walker <bmw@wezel.com>
To:        Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having problems with limited broadcast

Peter Steele wrote:
> When our boxes are initially deployed, they have no IP addresses
> assigned to them. Their ifconfig entry looks like this:
>
> ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport nfe0 laggport nfe1"
>
> With this config, no IP is assigned to the lagg0 device, so the only way
> to access the boxes is via a serial console.

Peter, leaving aside the issue of FreeBSD limited broadcast, have you
considered ZeroConf, and in particular the IPv4 Link-Level Addressing
portion of it to meet your basic "get the boxes addressed" requirement?

http://www.zeroconf.org/
http://files.zeroconf.org/rfc3927.txt

I don't have any experience with the lagg device yet, so I don't know if
that presents specific issues wrt ipv4ll code.

-bmw