Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:18:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        alsemo@celcom.net.my (Ahmad Zulkarnain)
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compiling Linux Driver under FreeBSD

> Hi guys!
>
> I'm a newbie runnin FreeBSD 5.2.1 on Clevo M22ES laptop. Sorry if my
> question has been asked before. I have a built-in SmartLink modem (SiS
> chipset) and I grabbed myself the official linux driver from their
> website. Can I just compile the driver in FreeBSD? I'll be glad if
> someone can point a howto sites fer it.

No.  A driver is too low level to be ported by merely recompiling it.
There are many applications on Linux that can be merely recompiled
under FreeBSD and maybe tweaked a bit and then just run.   But, you
would have to do some porting work to make a driver from Linux work in
FreeBSD.   But, if you can handle doing the porting, be encouraged to
do it and then submit it to FreeBSd.   That is how many of them get in.

////jerry