Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 15:27:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Patrick Crawford <pcrawfor@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help me, Make failed during kernel build

On Friday, 14 May 1999 at  0:10:18 -0400, Patrick Crawford wrote:
> Hello,
>  My name is Patrick Crawford.  I just order the FreeBSD 3.1 (4 cdroms)
> release of the FreeBSD Unix OS.  I am having a serious problem during a
> "make" attempt on my custom build of my kernel.  I have a simple machine
> with the following configuration:
>
>                     233Mhz  Pentium MMX
>                     64 Meg of ram
>                     2gig partition for FreeBSD on an IDE Fujitsu model
> MPB3032AT/AE
>                     AWE 64 Sound Blaster at irq 7  I/O port 220
>                     MAXTECH NX32pci network card
>
> My Network card is working OK under FreeBSD.  I got X11R6 Working ok.
>
> I can't get my sound card to work or my external Hayes Accura 56K/FAX
> modem to work to connect to the internet.

If you're having trouble with your modem, it won't help to build a new
kernel.  The GENERIC kernel supports your modem, so you probably have
some other problem.  IRQ conflict maybe?

> Attatched to this email is a copy of my kernel configuration file that I
> created based on the 1700+ page document titled "The Complete FreeBSD"
> by Greg Lehey.
>
> ERRORS:
> During the make process in the ../../compile/PATRICK directory, I get
> the an error stating the it cannot find the header file "vnode_if.h".
> I dont know how to fix this.
>
> I have 7 years of  UNIX programming experience under the following, so
> please be as technical as you want with your solution to my problem.

Can I assume you did this?

  # config -g PATRICK
  Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
  Kernel build directory is ../../compile/PATRICK
  # cd ../../compile/PATRICK/
  # make

If so, I suspect that that's your problem.  You wouldn't expect it on
a new directory, but you still needed to do a ``make depend'' in order
to create the files vnode_if.h and vnode_if.c.  If not, it would be
interesting to see the last 10 or so lines of your output.

Greg