Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 13:39:12 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Kjell <la3sg@sensewave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scripting help

Okay, you are referring to the zoneedit.py script. I already use the "lynx"
method to do the updating part and just wanted something very simple to do
internal checking on when an update is really needed rather than pinging
away at ZoneEdit more than necessary. The python script seems like an awful
long script for my simple needs....

At 06:59 PM 12.9.2001 +0100, Kjell wrote:
>On Sunday 09 December 2001 5:02 pm, you wrote:
>> I have just set up an experimental FBSD 4.4-STABLE server using DSL with
>> dynamic ip. Using ZoneEdit DNS services, the DNS can be updated with a cron
>> script to still point to the proper name. I'm doing that now using cron to
>> run the update script every 8 hours (the connection usually runs for weeks
>> at a time without disconnect).
>>
>> However, I had rather have a script that runs every so often (xminutes) and
>> doesn't bother the DNS server unless and ONLY if a changed in the dynamic
>> IP has occured as a result of disconnect/reconnect. Here are the functions
>> I see needed, but scripting language is not yet a decent skill of mine. I
>> suspect others using dynamic IPs have this same need: Any guidence
>> appreciated once again. (I've looked at the ipcheck that uses Python, but
>> rather not go that route if possible to do the simple approach below).
>>
>An alternative would be to download the standard Python script from
>ZoneEdit.com It does exactly what you want. I have set mine up to check my
IP
>address every 5 minutes.
>Regards from Kjell....

Best regards,