Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:48:45 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        notme <notme@lvdi.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to define local network?

>     This might be an obvious question, but how do you define
> the local network from the internet?  Whenever I try to access
> my local network, my ppp (set to dial on demand) will dial
> out automatically.  I have played with the hosts file, but that didn't
> really help.  Is it some port that it looks at?

	I define it as anything that is not linked via modem/other
telecommunications option. Aka, buildings next to each other linked via a
hub or switch would be local, but two buildings in different cities linked
via sattelite communications are a wide area network.
	Win9x is throwing what are esentially 'are you there' packets
onto the network. FreeBSD sees these with no local destination in mind so
it opens up a connection to the internet for them to go out on. There is a
way to block these in the PPP script, but I do not remeber the exact
command. I do remeber that they come in on some weird port #138 and #140
I think.

						Rick

--- E=mc2, not just a good idea, it's the law!
		www.grendal.org