Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:30:14 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aztec Sound card.

Branson Matheson wrote:

>  I just did an installation of 2.2.7-RELEASE to a P2/400 HP Vectra. It
>  has an AZTEC sound card that shows up like:
>
>  Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
>  Probing for PnP devices:
>  CSN 1 Vendor ID: AZT1008 [0x08105407] Serial 0xffffffff
>
>  sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
>  sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
>  opl0 at 0x388 on isa
>  opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
>  mpu0 at 0x330 irq 6 drq 0 on isa
>  mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >
>
>  It seems to be having some problems.. the mixer seems to work fine..
>  but using amp or mikmod or cating .wav files to /dev/dsp all give me
>  ( loud ) static.  I have tried to use Luigi's psm0 driver..  but that
>  is giving these errors :
>
>  Oct 29 11:05:01 daisy /kernel: timeout flushing dbuf_out.chan,
>                 cnt 0xff00 flags 0x00000041
>
>  This happens when you run amp ( which again gives static ) which only
>  outputs for a brief moment. I have a friend here who is using the driver
>  successfully ( on a different card ) and he suggested configing with
>  the flags changed like so:
>
>  device pcm0    at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr
>
>  Same problem reoccured.
>
>  I am not sure what is happening here.. I have tried manipulating the
>  BIOS parameters. I found that i have to tell it that the OS does
>  _not_ know about PnP in the BIOS for the card to show up at all. I am
>  fairly sure that nothing else is using either the IRQ or the address
>  for this card.. but it sure smells like an interrupt conflict.
>
>  Does anyone have any ideas?

The static is the soundcard trying to play 16-bit data through a 8-bit DSP. At
least that's the impression I get. The soundcard may in fact support 16-bit
audio, but the driver doesn't know how to talk at 16-bits. If there is pcm
support, use it as voxware is old and neglected. Except for native support in
voxware (you'd probably have to read the code, and chances are it's broken
already) I really don't know that there is much you can do except a) buy a new
sound card or b) turn off 16-bit audio. The Yamaha sound card (which runs under
the pcm code) can usually be found for just under $20.

--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>