Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:14:56 -0500
From:      Dwayne MacKinnon <Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disabling uhci at boot-time

Hello,

	I've been tasked with putting FreeBSD on a laptop at work. The problem
I'm having is this: The USB controller is setting up as IRQ 10, while
another piece of hardware is hard-coded to that IRQ. Hence, the kernel
panics on a page-fault at boot time, meaning I can't even start the install.

	The laptop is a Eurocom 3100b and its BIOS doesn't have a setting to
shut off the USB stuff. (I upgraded the BIOS just to see if that would
help. It didn't.) I tried to disable USB in the kernel config utility,
only to discover that to the kernel config utility uhci doesn't exist.

	So what I'm asking is this: is there any way around this problem, or do
I inform my boss that he's asking the impossible?

	Please cc me on any replies.

Thanks in advance,
Dwayne MacKinnon