Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:19:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error ("Invalid argument") mounting ATAPI CD-ROM

On Sun, Oct 19, 1997 at 12:10:31PM -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> This has been troubling me for a long time, and I can't figure it out.
> Sysinstall has no problem mounting /dev/wcd0c as /dist, but I can't mount the
> disk myself as /cdrom.
>
> The problem first appeared in the 2.2.x releases and has followed me right up
> to -current.
>
> I'm really baffled.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> root:/root# mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
> cd9660: Invalid argument
>
> root:/root# mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
> mount_cd9660: Invalid argument
>
> root:/root# cat /etc/fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump Pass#
> /dev/wd1a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              1       1
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> /dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/wd0s1              /c              msdos   rw              0       0
> /dev/wd1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
>
> root:/root# ktrace mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
> cd9660: Invalid argument

In order to get any useful output from ktrace, you need the -i option.
Otherwise ktrace doesn't follow fork(2)s beyond the first.  In this
example, you see at the end:

> root:/root# kdump
>  18744 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
>  18744 mount    RET   stat 0
>  18744 mount    CALL  fork
>  18744 mount    RET   fork 18745/0x4939
>  18744 mount    CALL  wait4(0x4939,0xefbfcb5c,0,0)
>  18744 mount    RET   wait4 18745/0x4939
>  18744 mount    CALL  exit(0x1)

This fork was followed by an execve of mount_cd9660, which is what we
really wanted to see.

Sorry I can't help with the problem.  Did you have any other messages
in the log files?

Greg