Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:57:39 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600E and 5.2

> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:32:15 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:29:22AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: "Peter Sandilands" <peter@sandilands.vu>
> > > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:34:30 +1000
> > >
> 	[ ... ]
>

> > I just fired up my 600E. It's running 5.2-BETA from Dec. of last year.
> > Something my have broken since then, but I get NEWCARD to work with the
> > following in /boot/loader.conf: hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"
> > hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
> >
> > My kernel config is:
> > device	  cbb
> > device	  pccard
> > device	  cardbus
> >
> > It was not happy with ACPI, so I am running APM.
> >
> > My Xircom card seems quite happy there.
>

> 	A couple of questons.  First, we are prob'ly running a similar
> 	5.2; none of the files in my KERNEL conf directory is older
> 	that early Dec., '03.  Where is the NEWCARD file?  Should my
> 	Xircom be recognized once I rebuild the GENERIC kernel?
> 	I see that what you have as ^define targets and nodefines in
> 	OLDCARD.

There is no "NEWCARD" file. GENERIC is NEWCARD. The config lines I
included result in a NEWCARD kernel. OLDCARD uses pcic and card while
GENERIC uses cbb, cardbus, and pccard. The dmesg should contain entries
for 2 each cbb, cardbus, and pccard devices. The actual Ethernet device
will be way down the dmesg from the other stuff.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)