Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:17:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sprint PCS Sierra Wireless

woohoo!

how the hell did i miss this? i am always browsing those pages....

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Ben Hockenhull wrote:

> Sprint PCS is giving away free (I'm sure there's a catch) wireless modems
> at http://sprintpcs.i33.com/b2bwwmodem/signup.asp.

i already have a sprintpcs account and i was gonna drop 45 bux on a serial
cable for my sanyo scp-4000 fone. which is almost half what i paid for the
fone....geez, that''s why i held off.

> I got mine in the mail just now.  It's a CDMA modem of some kind, made by
> Sierra Wireless, alleged to run at 14.4 kbps.

so, if you go to the sierra wireless page, there is a note that they are
EOL'ing these, which makes sense cause the tech is rushing headlong into
cdma2000 aka 3G.

however, the *tech* is plunging forward in the absence of a *market* :-)

so blowing these out makes sense for sierra and sprint. they probably
have a pain-share ( as opposed to rev-share :-) ) deal on this.

>  Naturally, I'm interested in getting it running under FreeBSD.

u and me both!

> I added it to pccard.conf as a modem, following the lead of the Novatel
> Merlin entry

well, nice try :-)

> and pccardd coredumps when the card is inserted under 4.4-STABLE.

yah, i didnt think you could get that lucky.

> If anyone has any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them, but this
> message is mostly informational.

and i for one appreciate the heck out of it.

note that the deal is limited to win9x users only, so i suspect that we
have a 'winmodem' problem here.

which sort of blows.

but at this point, i just gotta' wait for mine to show up......

> Here's the output of a dumpcis:
>
> Configuration data for card in slot 0
> Tuple #1, code = 0x1 (Common memory descriptor), length = 2
>     000:  00 ff
> 	Common memory device information:
> 		Device number 1, type No device, WPS = OFF
> 		Speed = No speed, Memory block size = reserved, 32 units
> Tuple #2, code = 0x6 (Long link to next chain for MFC), length = 11
>     000:  02 00 3e 00 00 00 00 aa 00 00 00
> 	Function 0: attribute memory, address 0x3e
> 	Function 1: attribute memory, address 0xaa
> Tuple #3, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 31
>     000:  01 01 53 69 65 72 72 61 20 57 69 72 65 6c 65 73
>     010:  73 00 41 43 35 31 30 20 4d 6f 64 65 6d 00 ff
> 	Version = 1.1, Manuf = [Sierra Wireless], card vers = [AC510 Modem]
> Tuple #4, code = 0x20 (Manufacturer ID), length = 4
>     000:  92 01 00 03
> 	PCMCIA ID = 0x192, OEM ID = 0x300
> Tuple #5, code = 0x17 (Attribute memory descriptor), length = 3
>     000:  41 00 ff
> 	Attribute memory device information:
> 		Device number 1, type EEPROM, WPS = OFF
> 		Speed = 250nS, Memory block size = 512b, 1 units
> Tuple #6, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
> 1 slots found
>
> Ben

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life