Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:23:50 +0100
From:      Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum + AXP + 5.4..

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 11:12 +0100, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 12:03 +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:11:03AM +0100, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> > > OK..
> > >
> > > Prolly a "Silly question" here..
> > > I wish to install 5.4 on a LX164 mobo, as I have done in the past....
> > >
> > > Just one thing, I now have two 18GB hdd's (scsi) and want to use vinum.
> > > The manual states that I cannot install onto a vinum disk, fine....
> > > It also says to get around that you install first, using swap as the
> > > first partition.... trouble is, when i try that from sysinstall it sys
> > > that I will break things as the AXP architecture cannot understand
> > > booting from anything that the first lump on the drive...
> > >
> > > So, resorting to my friend google, there isn't exactly a wealth of info
> > > coming back to help..
> > >
> > > Anyone got any pointers ? (or even a howto?)
> >
> > Use gmirror - it stores bookkeeping data at the end, so it shouldn't
> > be a problem with booting.
> > The overall state with vinum/gvinum under FreeBSD-5 and up is not very
> > good.
> > In fact I keep two machine - one an alpha - on very old OS versions
> > just because they have big vinum partitions.
> >

> AH...
>
> I will take a look..
>

> Thanks.
> AM

Thanks...

Looks like it is working great....

HOWEVER...

mount
/dev/da1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/mirror/md2 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/md3 on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/md4 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/md5 on /data (ufs, local, soft-updates)

And the /etc/fstab.....

cat /etc/fstab
#Device                 Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/mirror/md1         none            swap    sw              0
0
/dev/mirror/md0         /               ufs     rw              1
1
/dev/mirror/md2         /var            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/mirror/md3         /tmp            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/mirror/md4         /usr            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/mirror/md5         /data           ufs     groupquota,userquota,rw
0  2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0

I just KNOW I have missed something, and I am struggling to find a non-
x86 answer as to the / not mounting /dev/mirror/md0
(I just called them md0 etc cause that is what I call them under
Solstice Disk Suite with Solaris)

Tried a couple of suggestions in /boot.config file, but neither worked.

Can someone give me a pointer, to either something that helps online, or
the answer...

Machine spec i s
164LX, 533Mhz
Adaptec 39160 SCSI
2x 18GB SCSI hdd's as /dev/da0 and /dev/da1

GMIRROR is built into the kernel, not as a separate KLM . ( i don't want
loadable modules when the system is live)

Cheers
AM
--
Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>