Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:12:32 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Lal Manavado" <manavado@frisurf.no>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Can the Blind use Free-BSD?

One possible way to manage this is to use a text-to-speech
program in conjunction with either a terminal program that
runs off the COM port on a second PC (which is connected via
serial cable to the FreeBSD system) or a Telnet program that
runs under Windows.

Or, you could use Linux with the Braille Display or
text-to-speech synthesis, as a terminal or telnet into
the FreeBSD system.

It is also possible to run Linux programs under Linux
Emulation in FreeBSD.  While I'm not familiar with the
Linux program and apparatus that you are describing, this
might be an option.

I can understand you wishing to use UNIX as your primary
OS.  Unlike Windows, most UNIX programs are fully functional
in text mode, and I would guess that it is much easier
for a blind person to use a Braille Display or text-to-speech
apparatus with text mode on a PC display.