Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:13:22 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iwn driver on 7.1 [no vaps in RELENG_7]

Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:17:39 -0600
>> Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a working driver for the Intel 4965, aka iwn(4), loaded on my
>>> Lenovo X300 running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE (amd64).
>>
>> FWIW, I am using the latest perforce version of the iwn driver as
>> documented here[1] on a ThinkPad T61 running FreeBSD 7.1-stable / i386 -
>> no modifications necessary. It works great.
>> I just use the p4fetch.rb script to get the driver.
>>
>> HTH

> Since from that address, you are using the latest version of the
> benjsc perforce branch, you are probably using the same as I, since I
> took the initial version from the sam_vap branch (before vap got
> introduced).
>
> I do not know how far it is, but there is vap_releng7 in the sam
> perforce and projects/vap7 in svn on which Sam Leffler is actively
> working:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-projects/2009-January/thread.html
>

> I would like to have if_iwn working on a otherwise unmodified
> 7.1-RELEASE-pX and help to test it, but maybe waiting on sam to bring
> vap to 7 would be a better way to go.

vaps will never be committed to RELENG_7 due to API/ABI constraints.
However that svn branch is operational and being maintained as it's used
by multiple people.  I considered bringing back iwn (it's just copying
the bits); will add it to my TODO list.

OTOH iwn is now out of date and someone needs to update it.  There's
newer firmware that is supposed to fix many of the bugs I hit when I
worked on the driver (and Intel refused to acknowledge) and obsd has
added support for newer parts that people want.  It'd be great if
someone wanted to take over this driver.

    Sam