Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:39:52 -0800
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?'Luis_Guzm=E1n'?= <luis@galileo.or.cr>, "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Problems after upgrade

> I upgraded my server from FreeBSD 4.6.2 to version 4.8. After=20
> this, my passwd file was empty and my master.passwd was gone!=20
> I have a backup of these files and now I need to rebuild my=20
> users database. Is there a way to do this from my old files?=20
> I also need them for my SMB network.
>=20

Sounds like a mergemaster gone bad.  If you have a backup as you say you =
do,
I think you just need to merge the two files together into the new file. =
say merge because going from 4.6.2 to 4.8, a couple system entries were
added to the password file.  Easiest way would probably be to copy the =
new
lines from the new/blank password file to a copy of your backed up =
password
file via vipw, then mv your manually merged file into the normal system
location.  Good luck.