Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:47:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca (Spidey)
Cc:        bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linking /usr/src/ to /var/ftp ?

Spidey wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Robert D. Keys wrote:

 ... snippage ...

> yes, it's mainly to provide a small FreeBSD distibution site for the
> latest release. I will host some kind of bbs here , and I would like to
> distribute FreeBSD locally, for people who can't access the net.

 ... more snippage ...

> > IF you are actually wanting to mirror the actual source tree, tar it
> > up and put in in the ftp rather than link it so you keep a pristine
> > protected source tree in /usr, IMHO.
>
> Yes, but isn't it bad to not have access to the /usr/src dir in case of
> a... something? If I want to recompile something, I must un-tar it, and
> move it! Isn't there a way to just link it???

	If these are "trusted" local hosts on your ethernet, you can
	export the /usr/src tree via NFS. Read-only, of course.

-or-	If you trust these users with /non-anonymous/ ftp, then they can
	access your entire directory tree. This gives them the same kind
	of access as if they were local users with "shell accounts".

-or-	Give them full login accounts.

-or-	consider keeping the cdrom containing the "live" filesystem
	(cdrom #3?) mounted under the anonymous ftp tree.
	Mount this cdrom nodev,noexec,nosuid

-or-	NFS mount your own filesystem under that /var/ftp tree.
	be careful here. Do it readonly, maproot=0, and other things.
	(read up on this!) Most of what I'm saying here is experimental
	in nature, i.e. I have not tested the ideas fully.

-or-	A "daring" approach might be to try "mount_union".

-or-	/move/ the source tree into the ftp tree, and symlink /usr/src
	to point there.

Dave
--
             Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis.