Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:59:58 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
Subject:   Re: Changes to man(1)

>   The release engineers would really like to see Ruslan's latest
> changes to man(1) in FreeBSD 4.5.  This change closes a number of
> potential security holes that could allow privilege escalation.
> Please help us look over the recent commit to -CURRENT before we allow
> this to be MFCed.  Here are the relevant commits from Ruslan :

I don't think this is -stable material (it changes system behaviour).

I also think that putting something this size into the system at this
point in the release cycle should at least warrant another RC.

I also don't like this new (well, old) mechanism.  Instead, I think
man(1) should be fixed so that as soon as any of the default things
like macro packages and man directories are altered, it drops all
privileges.  Is there a problem with doing it that way instead ?

--
Brian <brian@freebsd-services.com>                <brian@Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>