Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, T. William Wells wrote:

> In article <NDBBJDFMIMOCFNNCEKADAELMCKAA.gill@topsecret.net>,
> James Gill <gill@topsecret.net> wrote:
> : ->  The best education and certification program that I have ever
> : ->  seen is taking
> : ->  the
> : ->  time to build your own client/server network at home with open-source
> : ->  software.
> : ->  You'll learn more that way, and develop some real useable skills.
> : ->
> : ->  Go for it :)
> :
> : While I agree, how would you recommend I word that on my resume to ensure an
> : extra ten or fifteen grand?
>
> Uh huh.
>
> All in all, having a certification program for FreeBSD would
> enable people with less experience than greed to profit at the
> expense of us. However, since people are forever looking for
> "money for nothing", there will sooner or later be such a thing.
> Let's just hope the FreeBSD project itself is smart enough to not
> endorse such a thing.

I think the best form of FreeBSD "certification" is a patch/contrib in
the system attributed to you.

Just point an employer at the cvsweb.cgi to the location of
your patch, or maybe a listing on the core/commiters/docs/contributers
list.

"Ask not what the project can do for you, but what you can do for
the project."

-or-

"Show me the diffs!" -Jordan K Hubbard

:)