Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:30:32 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        allenc@verinet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl5 installation

Allen Campbell wrote:

> I am building my first (of many I hope) FreeBSD server.  I installed the
> Perl5 package (Perl v5.003) after installing the FreeBSD v2.2.2
> distribution.  I assumed that the Perl5 package installation would
> replace the Perl4 binary in /usr/bin.  It did not, and this leads me to
> the following questions;
>
> Should a symlink be put in place of the Perl4 binary in /usr/bin?  Are
> there perl4 resources that are installed with the base distribution that
> should be removed?
>
> That fact that the Perl5 package did not overwrite the perl4 binary
> implies that perl4 should not be tampered with.  I am familiar enough
> with Perl to know that Perl5 is backwardly compatible, but this is not
> perfect.  Are there perl4 dependent scripts present on the system that
> would cause me to want to preserve perl4?
>
> Thanks for helping a neophyte FreeBSD hack.

The reason perl5 didn't replace the /usr/bin/perl binary is because
that's what /usr/local/bin is for - that's where binaries that are not
part of the base OS go. On the other hand, I've found very little reason
to use perl4. What I usually do is rename /usr/bin/perl to
/usr/bin/perl4 (just in case) and then make /usr/bin/perl a symlink to
the binary in /usr/local/bin. Most scripts should not notice the
difference, though there are exceptions. If you see a sctipt complaining
about @ requiring a \, or some other perl5 backward incompatibility,
just change it to use perl4.

One thing to note if you do take this approach: When upgrading, the
upgrade procedure will overwrite your symlink in /usr/bin with a new
perl4 binary, so this procedure must be repeated each time you upgrade
the OS.

Nadav