Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:39:18 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        nellie@home.com
Subject:   Re: hardware

As Mike Smith wrote:

> > If you're really putting together a system for FreeBSD, remember to
> > spend your money in the important areas.  First, throw out the IDE
> > interface, don't even think about using it.

> This advice is *seriously* outdated, especially in the light of the
> current performance of 3.x systems.

I haven't been talking about performance.  I have no doubts that the
performance of an IDE disk subsystem can cope with SCSI (although some
of the drive vendors still have a tendency to build the better drives
SCSI-only, and conversely, build IDE drives in the assumption they
won't have a hard life in front of them).

What makes me vehemently vote against IDE is that i've read (part of)
the ATA specs, and am now amazed that it's even possible that some of
these drives do indeed work at all.  The vendors must have had more
serious sources than those specs, or nothing would work at all.

And before you're going to buy anything else than IDE disk drives,
where the vendors have some experience, well, really go and read the
specs yourself.  After stopping laughing, you'll probably write the
same letters as me. :)

--
cheers, J"org