Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:39:12 -0500
From:      chris@tourneyland.com
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tasks for junior documentation hackers!

>Unfortunately, the question you asked, DNS, just isn't a 20 word answer.
>Maybe if you'd asked about one tiny part of DNS, perhaps it would have
>been, but it's not.  If you think this is one big conspiracy against you,
>then I *very* reluctantly would tell you that you'll really have to
>consider going back to Windows.  We're not out to get you, we would like
>you to succeed, but the answers are NOT simple, else the book wouldn't be
>that fat.

So, the book is that fat because it has to be? That doesn't really follow.
It presumes that there's no such thing as a book that's longer than it has
to be, which is of course false. It also presumes that the DNS/Bind book is
targeted for people like me who just want a small network, which I don't
believe it is - my understanding is it's an exhaustive treatment of
DNS/Bind. Now, a person running an ISP or admining a whole Class B with a
zillion subnets has to know a lot more than me. They probably need an
exhuastive book. Do I?

I'm not a DNS expert, but I don't really buy that what I need to know about
DNS could fill a 500 book. 50? 100? 150? Now we're talking.

Let me put it another way . . . you wanna bet me $50 I can write up
everything a guy like me needs to know to do his own DNS serving, in 100
pages? Now THAT sounds like fun.

 - Chris

P.S. A lot of your response was sort of strange. I don't recall claiming
there's some sort of conspiracy, I don't remember asking for a twenty word
answer, and that "go back to Windows" stuff is just silly. I *do* think
that Unix's biggest problem is its immeasurable historical and cultural
baggage, but heck, everyone knows that.