Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Junkins <junkins@foghead.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 install problem

> > After the system boots from the install disk and the blue screen with the
> > "probing devices" messages comes up there is alot of disk activity.  After
> > a few seconds of disk activity the above kernel panic is displayed with a
> > message that the system will reboot in 15 seconds (or press a key to abort
> > the automatic reload).
>
> Okay, I see.  Try booting and put -v on the Boot: prompt, then when the
> Probing Devices .. message comes up hit ALT-F2.  There's a bug I'm hunting
> that makes the wd slice probe loop a ton of times, it may be biting you
> in a different way.

Thanks.  That pinpointed the problem.  The verbose output showed the
polling of my to ide drives then it failed with the message:

	wfd0: Sense the media type is failed

I guessed that this had something to do with my ATAPI CDROM so I checked
to see if there was a disc in there.  When I checked, I found that my
CDROM was dead.  I disconnected the failed CDROM and was successful at
begining the install.  It's installing right now so we'll see how it works
when it's complete.

-Doug