Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:22:59 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why reccomend Bash shell?

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>
>> In Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD" he reccomends changing the
>> default shell for users to bash shell. -p. 94
>>
>> What are the Pro's/Con's of using bash as opposed to the other shells?
>

> On point that no one has mentioned on this list yet is that it is a good
> idea to have root's shell be entirely contained on the root partition of
> the system -- ie. not just the executable, but any shlibs it requires as
> well.  There's been a thread over on freebsd-ports@... about ppp(8)
> apparently failing because of problems linking libintl -- which actually
> turned out to be because root's shell had been changed to bash(1).
>
> That's why there is a 'toor' account -- you can use whatever shell you
> like with that a/c and not fear mucking up important bits of the system.

It was mentioned exactly 10 hours 58 minutes before your post on this
very list - as a reply to 'ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.6" not
found' :-) Kris advised to "open a doc PR requesting that this be
documented somewhere, so that future generations don't run into this
problem as well". I'd like to do that, but I've never done this before.
Could anyone direct me? Personally, I'd like this caveat to be
referenced next to every description of a way to change the default shell.

Best wishes,
Andrew P.