Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:46:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Netscape is an X client program so to run it you have to run both an
X server and the X client program, Netscape.

>At the moment, I'm not sure that I see the value to having an X
>Server at all.
>What are people running under X that makes it so much more useful
>than a plain
>tty interface?

Netscape.

>It might a losing battle, though, as I tend to think of UNIX as a
>generic term,
>and I doubt that I'm alone in this.  Does anyone remember when Aspirin was a
>defensible registered trademark of Bayer, or Xerox a registered
>trademark of the
>corporation of the same name?

Actually the indications I'm seeing is that the Linux name is rapidly
acquiring more marketing muscle than UNIX.  I can forsee a time in the
future when the UNIX licensees are going to be advertising that they
can run Linux software first, in big bold print, and the name UNIX will
appear buried in the spec sheets.