Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:42:36 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RC2 informal PR: 90 sec sendmail delay

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:

> I've got sendmail configured exactly the same (AFAIK) as my working 4.7
> system, with rc.conf having sendmail_enable="NO" (only) just to allow
> me to send mail via my ISP using the "smart host" feature.

Set HoldExpensive, and make sure the SMTP mailer is marked as
expensive (which it is not, by default).  Make sure you run a
seperate queue run for outbound (sounds like you are).  Then
disable DNS lookups on the internal sendmail process queue run,
which sould be seperate from the outbound mail queue run.  Use
different sendmail.cf files for internal queue run and outbound
queue runs (you need to set the DNS timeouts a *lot* longer on
the outbound, to account for DNS retry delays between inital DNS
request casuing the "link up" state to be started, and the actual
link being up and capable of processing DNS requests).

It is a *serious mistake* to seperate the link management from
the host OS, and try to make it the responsibility of individual
programs (like sendmail, or a SQUID proxy server, etc.).  We made
that mistake on the InterJet, and were never able to correct it,
after the fact.  Probably the correct thing to do is to add an
"EADMIN" error code, which administratively denies linkup on the
attempt to connect(2) to an external IP address, and make sure
applications can handle transient connect(2) failures.

> Shouldn't the sendmail which listens on port 25 tell the msp_queue
> runner to try to process the mail immediately.  It's clearly not just
> waiting for the runner to happen upon it in its normal every-30-min
> runs.  There seems to be a 90 seconds (or maybe 88) delay in there.
>
> My DNS is working OK, but I've got dynamic IP here, so no real hostname.

Disable reverse resolution of the interface name, too, then; see
"cf/README" for details.

I'm not too happy about some of the changes to Sendmail recently,
but I understand, from a marketing perspective, why they are
being made, to compete with DJB's security claims on qmail, and
Weitse's claims on seperation of operation on performance (both
claims are bogus, but it's complicated to explain to potential
customers why that's the case).

-- Terry