Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:06:42 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forcing full file read in ZFS even when checksum error encountered

Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> writes:
> I realise I classify pretty much everything as "priority 0" (of utmost
> importance), but there doesn't appear to be any indication of anyone
> caring about this problem.

Most likely, nobody with the ability to find and fix the cause of your
problem has been able to reproduce it.  It's really hard to fix a bug
you can't reproduce; you're basically flying blind, unless the person
who reported the issue is very experienced and can cooperate in
diagnosing the problem (which is very rare).

> I want to do more to help, but I don't know what I *can* do, besides
> offer to buy people identical hardware for attempted reproduction, or
> put up a test box with serial console access for developers to beat up
> on.

Several developers already *have* identical hardware, or nearly so.

(speaking for myself, all my Seagate disks are dead, and I use Western
Digital exclusively these days, as they tend to live longer in my
experience; sometimes they don't even fail until *after* the warranty
runs out!)

> | Making life hard for others since 1977.                  PGP: | 4BD6C0C=
B |

Ooh, a kindred spirit!  :)

DES
--=20