Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:38:19 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        sjg@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org, marcel@freebsd.org, phil@juniper.net
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

Simon Gerraty wrote this message on Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 21:49 -0700:
> The main open issue (assuming this functionality is still desired) is
> support of wide charachters.
>
> We figure the worst case solution is a sed(1) script to generate the wide
> version of the API from the normal one, but perhaps simply always using
> UTF8 would be a better solution?

My vote would be to use and *enforce* UTF-8 by the API.   That means if
someone passes a string in, it must be properly formed UTF-8...  This
doesn't prevent a wide char API from also being present if someone
really wants to add it..

I would also like to see support for binary data, but as I mentioned,
that would prevent usage from outputing JSON...  Yes, you can hex encode
(why doesn't libc include a hex code/decode function) it, but then it
becomes harder to autodetect typing..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579