Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 23:05:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Squires <msquires@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ports)
Subject:   samba@samba.org

samba 2.0.6pre3 compiled with patches -aa through -ah and -ba modified
*starting line is 1134, changed from 1064) and without -bb (not required)
runs about 5X faster on a P5/90 under 3.3-RELEASE.  Behavior is now
predictable (i.e., transfer rate for multiple tests is approximately
the same for transfers of the same size.

I used

	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535

and got max speed of about 200K/sec for 2.0.5a with patches aa-ah,
900K for 2.0.6pre3 with a 13MB file, 650K with 131MB - about what I
get with mars_nwe.

Hardware was a Micronics M54PE (single P90), AH2944UW with 4 2GB
Fujitsu narrow diff drives, Intel Pro100B, 32MB RAM.

I have not yet had success with any of the 2.x versions and SMP on a
dual PPro system using exactly the same filesystem (and the same binaries for
2.0.5a).  This includes two completely different sets of MB/CPU/memory/
controllers.  I currently would be very interested to know if anyone has
samba 2.x running reliably on an SMP system using PPro or PII/PIII
CPUs.

MIke Squires
mikes@indiana.edu