Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:53:41 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Brad McGuigan" <brad@corvu.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.5 partitioning

"Brad McGuigan" <brad@corvu.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope someone out there can help me. I have been charged with looking
> after a freebsd 4.5 server and have come across a problem I am not sure
> how to resolve.
>
> Basically, the /var filesystem is 108% full. I have free space on
> another filesystem (/usr) and would like to transfer some of this
> across. Is this possible? If so, can someone point me in the direction
> of instructions to do this?
>
> I am fairly new to this but keen on learning!

I have a few things to add to the advice others gave:

Compare the output of "du -hd1 /var" to "df -h".  If the amounts are very
different, then you probably have programs deleting files but keeping them open,
this causes the space to never be freed.  In this case, the easy answer is a
reboot, but the _correct_ answer is to track down which program is doing this
and fix it.

If you do the copy/symlink thing, make sure you reboot in single user mode
first, otherwise you'll have problems with programs that are trying to use
/var while you're doing this.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies