Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 00:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Some questions

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > 	I know but the later book does seem to cover the DNS pretty well...
>
> Not well enough 8)

	That's true since the TCP/IP book doesn't tell what those numbers
fpr the SOA record means...

> > 	I do understand but you didn't get what I was saying... PPP on the
> > client machine will ask the server which is SLiRP for the ip address so
> > SLiRP for each user needs to have some kind of config file so that it won't
> > be using the wrong ip address that someone else is supposed to use...
>
> No, _you_ don't understand.  SLiRP does _SLIP_.  That's what the name is for.
> And the addresses for each user can all be exactly the same,
> _it_doesn't_matter_.

	I know but SLiRP does PPP as well... I was refering to PPP and not
SLIP.

> > >  OS/2 Warp, Winsock, etc installed on user's machine.  Configured for some
> > >  totally irrelevant address.
>
> > 	I know what you mean but even with my current ppp connection on
> > my FreeBSD boxm it asks the remote for my ip address so SLiRP will need
> > to have a config file for each user so it doesn't use the wrong address...
>
> Don't make assumptions.  Read the documentation, understand how the real
> thing works.

	I already did many monthes ago and it said there was some config
file you put in the user's homedir...

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center