Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:25:38 -0600
From:      Justin A Kolodziej <4wg7kolodzie@vmsb.csd.mu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulated Quake2 a no-go

Amancio Hasty wrote:

 > > Apparently the Linux emulation in FreeBSD isn't good enough quite
yet.
 > > Trying to run Quake 2 gives the following:
 > >
 > > Mar 17 00:09:35 mcd7-31 /kernel: Linux-emul(211): setup() not
supported
 > > And I *am* running as root, so that's not the problem.
 The problem is that you posted to -current and if you had posted to
 > -multimedia you will have received a response similar to :
 >
 > Download ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/README.GLQUAKE for instructions
 > on how to get Quake 2 running on FreeBSD.
 To this, my rebuttal is:

 This file is rather unhelpful.

 First of all, it tells me the following:

 "As of right now you should get the linux emulation layer from
 ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/linux_ioctl-3.0-current.tar.gz"

 That's it.  No information on how to install or where in the source
tree
 it should go or anything like that.

 Second of all, some of the information contained in it is out of date.
 GL Quake 2 and QL Quake no longer require svgalib to run.  There is a
 hack available that allows Mesa to control the i/o.  You'll have to
mail
 David Buccarelli at tech.hmw@plus.it to get the URL because I lost it
 :(  .  In addition, Quake 2 is now version 3.14a, which may or may not
 have the network problems fixed; the original worked fine from the
 console but not from the menu.  I'm not even sure that this relates to
 the problem, because I believe it used to say "ioctl() not supported"
 when I was trying the release version.  Now it says "setup() not
 supported", which is claimed to be a generic error message.

 Third, the date on this is February 11, and it says: "When we are done
 wrapping up the support for Quake2 the changes will be roll back to 3.0
 -current."  Well, it's been a month, and obviously this hasn't
 happened.  Do you mind my asking what the status on this project is and
 when the estimated completion date is?

 And finally, I flat-out disagree that this is an issue for the
 multimedia mailing list.  First of all, this issue deals with the
 imperfect emulation of a Linux function, so it belongs in emulation,
not
 multimedia.  Had the issue been that the 3dfx doesn't work, or sound
 access causes a core dump, perhaps that would fit in with the
multimedia
 list.  Besides, I was under the impression that the multimedia list
 referred to native FreeBSD apps that didn't work, not problems with
 emulated apps.  Second of all,  the changes are (eventually,
supposedly)
 to be added to the current version, as your little note says, so, yes,
 this does belong on the current list.

 Had you just told me "we're working on that problem," or even "We don't
 care about that particular problem, and if you have to run Quake 2, go
 back to Linux,"  I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But when you a.
 avoid the question, b. point me to information that is not actually
 relevant to my situation, and c. then try to get rid of me by pointing
 me to the wrong group, that only confirms what I should have suspected
 when I mistakenly sent my subscribe command to the list:  If you're not
 perfect AND you're not interested in writing code for the next version
 of FreeBSD, you have no business getting a current snapshot, despite
the
 fact that it's as freely available as the release version.  Because
it's
 freely available, that means it should be open to public scrutiny and
 suggestions.  The mailing list being able to be posted to by
 non-subscribers further supports this view.  Unfortunately, the

 A few final suggestions before I unsubscribe from this list:  Make this
 list moderated so that you can decide whether a message is appropriate
 or not.  Or else be prepared to respond more cordially to those
messages
 you consider "dumb questions," as it appears you felt all of mine were.
 And second, mail me when Quake 2 works without any modifications to the
 linux compatibility package and when the filesystem works properly
again
 like it does in Sunday's snapshot.

 Sincerely,

 Justin A. Kolodziej
 --
 I sense a great disturbance in the Source.
 Justin A. Kolodziej