Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:39:12 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Pandurangi Venkatesh-AVP028 <venkatesh.pandurangi@motorola.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD 4.2 support mobile IP

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:10:25PM -0500, Pandurangi Venkatesh-AVP028 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a freeBSD 4.2 installed in a DESKTOP. I am trying to run the mobile
> IPv4 code developed by Cornegie Mellon University. This code does provide
> the kernel patch for freeBSD 2.2.5. I tried doing this kernel patch on
> FreeBSD 4.2 and looks like the patch is done successfully. I tried to run
> 'config' using new kernel configuration file with 'option MOBILEIP' added. I
> am getting error message like this is an invalid option.

Ahem.  I am not sure what it is exactly that you are trying to do with
this `mobile IP' thing, but I can assure you that lots of things have
changed from 2.x versions of FreeBSD until it reached 4.0-RELEASE or
newer.  Even if you manage to apply that patch, it's more likely to
simply fail when compiling because of various changes in the system
headers/libraries, not to mention the kernel itself.

A more reasonable thing to do would be to contact the authors of the
original MOBILEIP patch and see if they have one that applies to
recent FreeBSD versions.  Unless, of course, you find out that in the
course of things, FreeBSD has added support for what you want to do
some time between the release of 2.x and 4.x versions.

-giorgos