Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:50:10 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@freebsd.org>, ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?

--Apple-Mail=_192EBD2A-700B-41B6-B1A2-13D2C7891F52

On Sep 12, 2014, at 14:38, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> "No" (as portmgr).
>=20
> Ports should not be touching the base system like this. Let's NOT go
> backwards and add a /bin/bash. In fact the /usr/bin/perl one will be
> removed soon as well.
>=20
> If we can actually eliminate ports touching /usr and / (not including
> /usr/local and /var) then we gain a very large memory optimization for
> package building by being able to ro null-mount these to the build =
jails.
>=20
> There's no reason for bash (and perl) to be exceptions to the 24000
> other ports that install to /usr/local/bin. I can think of dozens of
> other ports that will fall into the same arguments being made here, =
but
> it does not mean it is the right thing for FreeBSD.
>=20
> If you want to install the symlink on your system feel free to do it. =
> install a static bash to /bin/bash on mine and only because I prefer
> bash shell and want it in / for single-user mode. That's my personal
> choice though.
>=20
> The proper fix is to fix scripts to be portable and use #! =
/usr/bin/env
> bash rather than /bin/bash.
>=20
> We install all packages to PREFIX=3D/usr/local by default. Why should =
> bin symlink be an exception? There's no suggestion for symlinking
> includes or libraries which also hit users often.

Hi Bryan,
	I understand portmgr=92s reasoning for removing these knobs as =
it improves =93portability=94 (builds and runtime won=92t depend on =
broken code), but I see the merits of making a separate package for =
Linux =93compatibility=94 for the various items that people have brought =
up (mostly the LDAP issue and the vendor/legacy script portability =
issue). Plus it makes the barrier for entry lower, and less of a reason =
for Linux users to complain about how FreeBSD is different from Linux. =
Adding these as options to the port(s) won=92t work for various reasons, =
two of which came to mind are:
	1. People should be able to install packages from FreeBSD.org =
instead of having to roll their own ports with custom options.
	2. It=92s best not to build other packages on unportable =
(/bin/bash) behavior.
Thanks!
-Garrett

PS I don=92t agree with Fedora/FreeDesktop=92s push to move everything =
to /usr (I think it=92s a wee bit radical, to say the least, and seems =
like it=92s optimizing the wrong thing), but it=92s something to keep in =
mind as this non-portable decision may start working its way into =
upstream ports: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove .