Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 12:07:25 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nuno_C=E9sar_Pires?= <NCPires@isq.pt>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help to start BIND on boot

Hello list,

=20

I'm setting up a BIND/DNS server (recursive) and I'm facing a problem =
when I
try to start the "named" automatically on boot (named_enable=3D"YES" in
rc.conf):

First I noticed that the boot process takes a very long time in the
"Starting Standard Daemons" phase.

After boot I have looked to the named messages and apparently it was
everything ok i.e.:

=20

First message:              "starting (etc/namedb/named.conf). named
8.3.6-REL ....."

Second message:          "limit files set to fdlimit (1024)"

Third message:              "Ready to answer queries."

=20

But the problem is the output of "ndc status": (server is initializing
itself) and then nothing happen.

=20

Starting or restarting the named manually works just fine, the "ndc =
status"
output is "server is up and running" and the queries answers are as
expected.

The result after comment the kern_securelevel=3D"2" and
kern_securelevel_enable=3D"YES" lines in the rc.conf and reboot was the =
same
as described above.

=20

The ROOT SERVERS file was updated and there is a permanent network
connection

=20

Releases:

FreeBSD 4.9

BIND 8.3.6

=20

Can you please help me on this? I'm beginner in FreeBSD.

=20

Thanks in advance,

Nuno

=20

CONFIDENCIALIDADE: Esta mensagem e quaisquer documentos em anexo s=E3o
confidenciais. Se n=E3o for o destinat=E1rio desta mensagem, =
agradecemos que
avise imediatamente o remetente e que a elimine sem a reproduzir, =
armazenar
ou divulgar a qualquer entidade.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential =
and may
be privileged. If  you are not a named recipient, please notify the =
sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it =
for
any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.