Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:44:22 +0800
From:      "Paul Hamilton" <paulh@bdug.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using ifconfig to change channels using FreeBSD 6.0 on a Netgear WG311v3 wireless NIC

Hi,

I have compiled the FreeBSD driver from the Windows 2000 files by running:
ndisgen WG311v3.INF WG311v3.sys

After working through the simple wizard and selecting the defaults, I ended
up with a kernel module called:  WG311v3_sys.ko

Then I loaded it by running:

  kldload ndis
  kldload WG311v3_sys.ko

I could then run:  wicontrol -i ndis0   to see the following:

NIC serial number:                      [  ]
Station name:                           [ asc1 ]
SSID for IBSS creation:                 [ my_net ]
Current netname (SSID):                 [  ]
Desired netname (SSID):                 [ my_net ]
Current BSSID:                          [ 00:00:00:00:00:00 ]
Channel list:                           [ 3fff ]
IBSS channel:                           [ 3 ]
Current channel:                        [ 1 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 0 0 0 ]
Promiscuous mode:                       [ Off ]
Intersil-Prism2 based card:             [ 1 ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):            [ 1 ]
MAC address:                            [ 00:0f:b5:85:87:f0 ]
TX rate (selection):                    [ 0 ]
TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 1 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:            [ 2346 ]
Create IBSS:                            [ Off ]
Access point density:                   [ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):               [ 0 ]
Max sleep time:                         [ 100 ]
WEP encryption:                         [ Off ]
TX encryption key:                      [ 0 ]
Encryption keys:                        [  ][  ][  ][  ]

Now, if I try changing the current channel by using this command:  ifconfig
ndis0 channel 11

All this does is change the IBSS channel to 11, not the current channel.

What am I missing here?

Cheers,

Paul Hamilton